Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Whoopie Pies and Dresses

I think my posts are getting weirder and weirder.... at least the titles are.
I told my oldest daughter that I'd love to make the favors for her upcoming wedding, so she said.... 'ok.... can you make mini whoopie pies?'
Sure, I said.... I grew up on them. However, I thought because MY whoopie pies are NOT like the Maine ones, I better have a backup recipe for them in case they don't like MY recipe (actually, my mom's). So I found a recipe online (Moody's Diners = Waldaboro, ME). I would make 2 batches of batter (I made 3), and 2 batches of filling (2.5). Here were the test results...

Batch 1: was a half recipe of my mom's (mixed it by hand), but I used crisco sticks instead of soft shortening. (I think the sticks were kinda old- didn't like the musty smell, but it didn't have a date on it, so I used it.-- I'm sure I won't like it, but we'll try it). They came out REALLY flat! I don't remember my mom's being flat, so that could be due to the 'off' shortening.
Filling A & B: My mom's was filling A (it never makes much, so I made a whole recipe of filling), and I made half of Moody's filling for B (I mixed it all together at once- just seemed like a lot of filling).
Filled half of pies with each filling and marked the saran wrap 1A and 1B.

Batch 2: Made full recipe of mom's batter (mixed it by hand), but used something new this time. There is a mixture in a jar called Lighter Bake by Sunsweet. It's made from puree of dried plums and dried apples. Supposed to be non-fat (use instead of shortening). Smelled okay, but the (still) flat pie tasted a little like prunes. And they were 'stickier/tackier' on the top of the pie... it didn't seem like they dried. But, hey, this is no-fat!! Isn't that a plus? Okay, these get frozen for a week, then I'll deliver them for the taste tests.


I'm also conscious of the fact that Leslie wants them about 2"... see, I'm measuring to get a feel for them.(These are the flat ones).

Anyway, the third batch was made strictly by Moody's. Their batter and their filling. Only this time, I made them according to THEIR directions... as in, use an electric beater!! Okay, yes, ... that DID make a difference. The batter was stiffer and fluffier (think mousse), and the filling was stiffer and fluffier...I figured how much was made (about 60 complete pies from a full recipe). I still had some filling from Moody's from the batches 1 & 2, so I used that, then considered the 'whipped' filling B-C. I'm sure these will be the ones they pick.
Okay.... now, onto dresses for the wedding.
You must understand... I HATE CLOTHES/SHOE SHOPPING!!!!!!
REALLY!!!!
Okay, now that I got that out of my system, I DID make an attempt to 'look' for a dress, because my daughter-in-law, Diana, was appalled that I hadn't by now. (Mind you, I wasn't appalled. Just her. But it made me feel guilty). I went into two stores (NOT bridal stores!! because they are too matronly-- mother of the bride looking and I'm not like that. I'm funkier).
This one was a possiblility, but I just tried it on, I didn't buy it. Pros: I liked the colors. Cons: Too low cut, and too casual. (Notice the jeans, still around my ankles?? Doesn't that tell you how much I'm into trying this one?)

Then I went to MA to deliver the whoopie pies and visit with my daughter's future mother-in-;aw (who I really like!) While talking about looking for an outfit, I told her my mom had good luck at a place called Chico's. She googled to see what she could find and she found one in her town at the mall. "Let's GO!". While we were looking in all the stores there, we got hysterical over this one, since these ARE the wedding colors, Pink and orange (the bridesmaids are wearing navy, but carrying orange and pink gerber daisies). We got so silly in the dressing rooms, asking other patrons if they'd take our photos...lol. We just wanted to send this to my daughter, saying "We've found our dresses!!" (it's a joke, guys)
 But then.... I actually found a skirt (not my original plan-- hoping for a tea length dress), that was flow-y... and had three tiers to the length (although I could hike up the waist and make it tea length). And this top is probably what I'll wear since it IS funky (black tear drop beads around the bottom of the jacket and cuffs). And it has sequins all over it. The shell under it is sleeveless and while I don't think I'll take it off (I have arms that 'wave'), I could if it gets too hot (July wedding).

However, I really like this one better. The problem? It's glittery!! and my future son-in-law HATES (Did I say HATE strong enough??????) GLITTER!!!! What's the worse that could happen? I could bring both of them and switch all day, depending on if I've had enough hugs from him. LOL..... We'll see. I've sent them to Leslie, to see what she thinks. At least I'm done with it. Need to find shoes, but that isn't so bad. I can handle it. Poor Janice, still needs to find hers, but at least she knows what I have found.


3 comments:

Jackie Russell said...

I can completely relate to the dress shopping. Jeans and t-shirts for me. My DD is getting married in June. I have looked once and tried on one dress. Still nothing bought. I think I have two months right? Maybe one will just show up at my door. LOL!

Nancy E said...

Oh, Jackie, THANK YOU for making me aware I'm not the only one in the world who hates that stuff!! (ps. the only way one will show up at your door is if you cut a lock of your hair and hand feed it to dragons... or some such nonsense. lol)

April said...

Hhmm yummy, your chocolate pie looks really tasty! I'm thinking of taking baking classes and to find out the joys in making sweet treats for my family. As for shopping, I don't have much luck with that too so that's why I mostly go shopping online for my Chicos clothes!