Friday, March 7, 2008

Progress on Amber's baby quilt!

Okay, maybe that's premature... the Amber part. I was all set to put the 'fish' blocks together, and I realized that amount of blocks that I got from the fabric piece I bought didn't make a very big top, ... even with borders. And of course, I can't find it in the local qs. Well, that's what happens when you buy a small piece (under 2 yds), because you don't know what you'll do with it...yet. So, solution is to add sashing and a couple of borders. Now, as much as I'm not on No-Buy (on Stashbusters group), I've been really good about not buying any fabric unless it's the "b's" (borders, backing, binding, basting thread, and batting). I suppose that this falls into the 'b' catagory, so off I went to my favorite quilt shop http://quiltingbytheyard.com/ and got there just as they were ready to close up for the day. Thankfully, Pat, helped me pick out a GREAT sashing that makes the blocks "POP" off the fabric. We found a border fabric that matches the fish fabric exactly (same designer-- and it goes horizontally and vertically!!) and threw in a bright yellow for a flange piece between the sashing and the outer border. YEA! It's washed (don't usually wash fabric first unless it's a deep color) and ready to iron. I hope to get enough done on it this weekend to make it a top. Off to sew!....

1 comment:

Vicki said...

I love the 3-d fins on the quilt. What a great idea for a child's quilt. As she gets older, she will love it.