Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Cloth done! Just in the nick of time...

Okay, it was my procrastination at prime mode, but it always seems to work for me. I had to babysit my grandson on Sat. until 2pm, so no use trying to sew before then. (Oh, did I have time during the week? I'm sure I did, but then I'm not sure I had the energy...). Once my daughter came home and took off to run errands, I decided I needed to rest for a while....zzzzz until 4:30pm.
Oh brother ! I can't put this off any longer (why is this so hard to finish???). Up the stairs I go. I realize I have 9 more blocks to make before I can put them together. Hey, they ARE easy blocks to do. "Trading patches". I have some extra blocks already cut, but don't want to put the fabrics I have to chose from in the rest of it. I go looking through my stash... AHhh, found some funky stuff that works! Off I go.... sewing them up and playing on the design board for a while before I find the design I like ("Honey, supper is just gonna be 'thrown together' tonight! Ok?"). Good. Back to work. I put the blocks (48) together using the 'webbing' method and got the top finished...almost. Ok. I have to add this 'band' of blue and gold at the top, but I seem to remember that the top I add is too wide. I'll have to 'fudge it' for the moment. Now for the backing (I saved a piece I thought would be wide enough...NOT!) Oh crap! Okay, let's not panick... Hey, I think I'll make a band for the middle strip out of the millions of 1.5" strips that run through the diagonal on the blocks. It will work! I'll make them like a lasagna quilt. It doesn't look too bad! Okay, now to finish the panel (thank God, I don't have to 'quilt' it!). I just hand stitched the opening closing (enveloped it), and ironed it.... Don't it look perdy?? It's now set to "pin' for the altar top, and I'll have to sew it during the week...

No comments: