Saturday, February 16, 2008

Progress on the Fish quilt

I had a great discussion with my DIL Diana regarding a baby shower (when, who was giving it) for my step-daughter, Amber and realized that I needed to put some time into the baby quilt I'm making for her. (See I always tend to do this thing called 'wait until the last possible moment to move on a project'-- was still sewing my prom dress the night before the prom, was still sewing my bridesmaid dresses the night before I got married, etc)
Well, I'm getting better with age.... Here I have some pictures of Amber's quilt in progress.
The fabrics,
the fish fabrics cut into '4-patch' blocks, making fins,
cutting the 4-patch apart and inserting the 'fins'
...Well, I've decided to short-cut it, by sewing the 'fins' to the complete block with an eighth inch seam, instead of cutting it into quarters, first.
Then I fold it in half and sew my 1/4" seam
Cut the thick fold just to cut the bulk,
then fold it the other way and sew my 1/4" seam, unfold and Voila!
Okay, it is a bit thick with the 'fold' there, so I may slip my tiny scissors in to split the fold in half. Now it will look as if I never folded and sewed, rather cut and sewed. It looks like the fish are 'hiding' under their fins.
I have them all tagged (row and block numbers), so when I get the seams all split, I'll start putting the rows together. I have lots of leftover 'fins', so I'll eventually put them as prairie points in the border. Stashbusters has taught me a thing or two!

3 comments:

vaughn said...

Hi, I am enjoying your quilting blog. When I was kid I spent the summers in Southcentral Va in the sticks. My elderly aunt used to quilt a lot for neighbors and relatives and so, as a NY kid, I wasn't really impressed. Now that I am mid-aged and she has Alzheimer's, I know I can quilt because I helped her so very much cutting squares and such but I never put my hand or mind to it!

When I lived in NYC, a huge tobacco company had their corporate headquarters there and believe it or not in the elevator corridors, were framed quilts that where very pricey.

Anyway, I will follow your blog, it looks like I can learn something from you! You are to be admired to take the time to teach strangers the art of quilting!

Happy quilting!

Nancy E said...

Thanks Yvonne for your kind words... Just hope I get it done before I need to! (grin)

Ingrid said...

Hi Nancy love your fish tails, I must admit Im a bit of a fabric folder and fiddler myself. It can give traditional patchwork such a modern twist, it has worked really well with your fish. Love it